Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sight Word Booklet

 I finally got around to making a Sight Word/Word Family Booklet. The original idea came from Sue from The Very Busy Kindergarten. Click on the link to see her great booklet, she also does an excellent job explaining how to make them.  

I finally got around to making one (yep..Sue doesn't lie when she says it's A LOT of work, but I think it's worth it). I changed it a bit, in that I used regular index cards and a binding machine to save $ (instead of buying a spiral index pack which is expensive). I had 3 of my students cut and glue the cards in their notebooks to see how it would go, but..it didn't work out too well, so Ill be making them. Not happy about it, but like I said: I think it will be great for the kids. 

The sight words are based on McGraw-Hill Treasures Kindergarten Sight Words and I added a few from the top 25 Fry and Dolch Word List, along with easy to read sentences. Students will trace the word, put dots under each word, and highlight the sight word in the sentence. The eyeballs in the corner reminds them they must know the word  by sight.  On the opposite end of the booklet, is where the word families will be, It's exactly like Sue's

If you would like a copy of the Sight Word cards for the booklet, let me know and Ill be happy to send it to you. I plan on making another booklet for students who are ready for Booklet 2. 

11 comments:

  1. I'd love to see yours! Thanks!
    Leslie@kindergartenworks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a copy of the sight word cards! I saw Sue's post too, but I just haven't had the time! I have a parent volunteer for the next two weeks, and I'm thinking this might be a good project for her to work on for my kids that are really struggling with sight words!

    ofprimaryimportance(at)gmail(dot)com

    Thanks for being willing to share!

    Mrs. Krull
    Of Primary Importance

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also love a copy. Anything I can get ready now for next year is one more thing I can check off. Thanks for being willing to share.
    jensenkinder@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love love to have a copy of this for my students. This would be a wonderful take home booklet for studying with. You can email me at alterry_05@hotmail.com. Thank you so very much for sharing!!! Wonderful and creative idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a copy. We also use the Treasures series and I am always looking for items to help supplement our lessons. Thank you for being willing to share.

    cheezydawg@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love a copy. We just started using this series in reading.

    gapgurlm@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a copy also. What a neat idea for my students. Thanks for sharing.

    lthex@ashlandpublicschool.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I've been doing my research on how to introduce my now 3yo daughter with sight words and dolch list... would love to get a copy of what you did. hopefully, my daughter will be able to use them.

    here's my email address -- anne2kin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would LOVE a copy. This is a wonderful way to keep track of your sight words.

    My email is kcostello@ocsu.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also would love a copy. I'm always looking for new ideas and ways to help students enjoy as they learn. My email is delormm@lakeshoresd.mb.ca

    ReplyDelete