Friday, February 3, 2012

Teaching Left and Right Through Dance


When I was at the Tinkerbell Half Marathon waiting at 4:00am (yes..you heard me, FOUR in the morning), there was a DJ keeping us company before the run. Now, usually I don't partake in the DJ dance/woohoo yell stuff..but since I was one for the early arrivals, I really had no choice. I lined danced to The Cupid Shuffle, and as I was line dancing (or aimlessly moving about) my teacher-mind told me this would be great for teaching Kinders left and right.

Here's how it works: the kids move to the left four time (all saying left, left, left, left), then they move to the right (right, right, right, right), then kick right, kick left, kick right, kick left). Finally the move 90 degrees to start all over again. It's kind of like the Electric Slide. The first time I tried this with my kids, they were human bowling pins (knocking into each other). Eventually they all went in the same direction (yay)! Below is probably a better explanation of what the dance looks like when kids do it (this is not my class, I youtube'd it to give you a better visual).


1 comment:

  1. So fun. I am so glad I found your blog. I am your newest follower.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete